Re: [Amps] Initial RF testing of 4CX1000A amplifier

To: Ian White <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, 'Carl' <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, 'Vic K2VCO' <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Initial RF testing of 4CX1000A amplifier
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 13:02:57 +0000
   Screen dropping resistors were used for two reasons.
When working CW the screen dropping resistor was an easy way to do the job and
some had
clamp tubes as well.
  The second was that we often used plate modulators. With tetrodes and
pentodes it was
necessary to modulate the screen grid as well as the plate.
  We did not use 4cx1000A type tubes but 807, 6146, 829B, 4D32, 813. 803, 4-400
etc. which did not have the
negative screen grid current.
  It became obvious when hams started using linear amplifiers rather than
class-C amplifiers that screen grid
regulations was important. And then we used VR tubes.

73
Bill wa4lav