[Amps] "N" Connector

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] "N" Connector
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 20:12:11 -0700
When I came into my current job, there were some cavity amplifiers using RCA 7651 tetrodes, running 5 kW pulsed power, about 600 watts average. This was at 200 MHz. The N connectors on the input to the next stage (an RCA 4616 tetrode) would burn up every so often. Since the RCA cavity amp input was tuned, VSWR could wander up when fingers twirled knobs too quickly. We replaced the N with 7/16 DIN and never had another failure. It was clearly too much for N connectors, the VSWR and the freq x power.
73 and happy new year,
John
K5PRO

Message: 1