Re: [Amps] Tube swap

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube swap
From: William Turner <dezrat1242@wildblue.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 15:50:20 -0800
One way I have done this is to remove the suppressor and replace it with a straight wire. Then take a grid dip meter and couple it tightly to the wire you just installed and look for the dip. NO POWER TO THE AMP OF COURSE. The dip will be very narrow and very deep, a sure sign of high Q. Then install the VHF suppressor, the values of which are not as critical as some people think, and look for the dip again. Now the dip should be gone without a trace, not even a tiny wiggle. If you do see a wiggle, try different combinations of L and R. As a rule, 50 ohms for the resistor is a good place to start and the L should be the largest value that will NOT burn up the resistor on the highest frequency the map will operate at. IOW, if the resistor smokes on ten meters, reduce the value of L and try again.

And above all, as someone else mentioned, do NOT use carbon composition resistors. The change value over time and either direction of change will cause major trouble eventually.

73, Bill W6WRT