Re: [Amps] Tube swap

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube swap
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 04:52:25 +0000
  The only experience I have had with very soft power tubes produced tungsten
oxide, a yellow powder inside the tube.
I have over 20 4-1000a Tubes and a number of 4PR1000A tubes and only a few have
been soft. I have glass tubes that
that go back to pre-WWII that still have hard vacuum in them.
 I don't know what the white stuff is since these tubes don't have the getters
that produce white stuff.
All the oxides of carbon, which is also used in the tubes, are colorless gas.
  I guess the strangest thing I had seen is a 304TL half full of water in a
high power 20 MHz amplifier.
But that was due to a leak in a water hose that sprayed a stream of water on
the 304TL which was just right
to cover the crack that it caused in the envelope. The 304TL and the
3CW10,000A7 were voltage regulars for the
plate supply for a 3CX10,000A7 amplifier. This was a Mobley buncher amplifier
for a linear accelerator.

  73
Bill wa4lav