Re: [Amps] Cool Amp Silver Plating

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Cool Amp Silver Plating
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 00:33:51 -0500
On 2/28/2014 8:51 PM, Fuqua, Bill L wrote:
   I know cyanide is used in gold plate solution but not aware of it silver
plating.
It seems that silver chloride is the main ingredient.

Silver chloride is used in ion exchange, or flash plating. It may be used in electroplating, but I never used it in electroplating.

Silver cyanide is used in smooth electroplating, (electronic and decorative) the most common form of plating..

Silver Nitrate is also used in electroplating, but produces a rough, crystalline surface and is only used in industry AFAIK.

Cyanide solutions are dangerous! Extremely dangerous. It only takes a drop of something acetic to release cyanide gas which is odorless and colorless. Observe all safety precautions in the MSDS for the chemicals used and use in a properly ventilated area. I did all my work in a fume hood.

I did all the silver plating for the company I worked for in the early days, a good 50 years ago.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73
Bill wa4lav