Re: [Amps] Cool Amp Silver Plating

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Cool Amp Silver Plating
From: Roger <roger@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 12:20:33 -0500
On 3/1/2014 5:40 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
On 1 Mar 2014 20:57, "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com> wrote:

We use it often at work. It's expensive. It doesn't do squat for
improving the conductivity of surfaces like cavities and inductors for RF
current, as Peter pointed out. That requires at least 3 to 5 times the skin
depth

What controls the thickness of the cool amp?  Can one not repeat the
process to get a thicker coating or does that not work?

I believe it's an ion exchange, which would only be a few atoms thick. Once the base metal is completely covered, I doubt repeated applications would add much as the mechanical rubbing of the material no longer contacts the base metal.

If fixed,  do you know what the thickness is? I was wondering if it would
be useful for 10 GHz, where the skin depth is a lot less than at VHF/UHF

Searches reveal several sources saying 0.0025mm or 9.84 * 10^-5" or 0.0000984" if I placed the decimal correctly.
0.0025mm/25.4mm per in = 9.84 * 10^-5 in.
 I can not verify the authenticity of those numbers.

http://www.docin.com/p-533501287.html Chinese..I think. Scroll down in the English window past the Bellvile washers and there is a CoolAmp page

http://www.thew.com.au/index.php?option=com_aceshop&Itemid=137&route=product/product&path=37&product_id=271 From Australia: Looks like the blurb above without the scrolling.

Both only say it's good for reducing contact resistance

73

Roger (K8RI)

Dave