[Amps] SHV Connectors and B-

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SHV Connectors and B-
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:53:23 -0400
At the risk of starting a raging philosophical war, I am looking for opinions on how to best manage wiring between an outboard HV supply and an RF amp deck.

Here's the project:

An old Alpha 77D is being used as the foundation of a quasi-homebrew amp. The plan is to upgrade the PS and move the HV transformer and oil cap out of the RF cabinet and into its own enclosure -- similar to what K2VCO and W8ZR have done. I am doing this for two reasons: (1) I can no longer manage the weight of a 77Dx amp by myself. It already takes a meditation exercise to move my older Alpha amps from the ground and onto the desk; and (2) Ep will be slightly elevated with better regulation under full load. A new 2.0A CCS Dahl plate transformer will be purchased from Hammond. The existing 25uF/4KV oil cap gets upgraded to 35 uF/5KV. A dedicated filament transformer will be mounted in the RF deck area once occupied by the old Hypersil HV/Filament transformer.

A new PS cabinet is being fabricated and will house the HV transformer, filter cap, diode stack, and perhaps a bleeder pair. I would like to use a SHV connector for HV, but after reading the AMPS archives, I'm seeing widely varying opinions on how to best manage B- I've seen everything from just running it like a control conductor at one extreme to using a dedicated SHV connector and treating it like HV at the other extreme. A 2-3 diode string will be used between B- and the chassis as it is now.

The new amp is getting a complete facelift with a new engraved front panel, round 250-degree meters, and a vacuum variable cap will be used for loading. Dedicated metering for Ep, Ip, Ig, and filament voltage. The Pi-L section will be be upgraded but remain mostly the same. Bias is redesigned using a 3-stage bias system with the entire bias and T/R function being software-controlled from my S-QSK board. A matching PEP analog wattmeter with Bird ThruLine section has been designed and can be used either above the amp or remoted to a small desktop enclosure.

http://72.52.250.47/images/77D_Panel.pdf

As I move forward with this project, opinions regarding current trends in SHV/B- distribution are very welcome. Tnx!

Paul, W9AC