Re: [Amps] Front Panel Express Help

To: "MU 4CX250B" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>, "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Front Panel Express Help
From: "Jim W7RY" <w7ry@centurytel.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 22:06:16 -0700
I just found it Jim.
Now to figure it out....

73
Jim W7RY

-----Original Message----- From: MU 4CX250B
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 5:58 AM
To: Paul Christensen ; amps@contesting.com

There is a utility you can download from the front panel express
website for designing dials, arcs, and so forth.
Jim W8ZR

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 9, 2014, at 5:52 AM, Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net> wrote:

"Can anyone give me some pointers on creating a 150 degree arc label for a band switch for Front Panel Express? I have a radio switch 86 switch with 30 degree detents. 6 positions, 160-10 meters."

If an actual arc is needed, you can select "Insert Curved Slot" from the menu. Then select the engraving width/depth (e.g., cutter 0.6mm). The slot can be rotated, expanded, degrees set, etc.

To set up 30-degree index positions (and optionally with with engraved lines radiating from center), you can use trig functions on Cartesian coordinates. For all switches, I used the switch center hole as the Cartesian origin. Once you decide on the distance to engrave from the switch center -- and you already know the angle, then solve for (X, Y). Take the computed X coordinate and add it to the the origin's X coordinate. Do the same computation for the Y coordinate.

When recently solving this for a 2-position switch, I wanted to take advantage of the switch's locking tab and insert it into a blind hole on the panel reverse side. So that the position center center lined up vertically, this meant that position 1 is 15 degrees left of vertical and position 2 is 15 degrees right. Instead of solving by using the actual 30 degree arc, it was easier to solve using 15 degrees.

You're welcome to my panel file if you want to have a look.

Paul, W9AC