Re: [Amps] ALS-600 vs ALS-1300

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] ALS-600 vs ALS-1300
From: Roger <roger@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 19:59:51 -0400
On 4/10/2014 8:22 PM, Bill Turner wrote:
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On 4/10/2014 2:06 PM, Kevin Stover wrote:
Unlike some tube amps solid state amps don't suffer fools lightly

REPLY:

Certainly true, and the "fools" label applies to both designers and users.

Do the 600s work well? If so, there is nothing wrong with using a pair of them with dividers and combiners. It's a very good way to double the power. Put 4 together and run them conservatively. It might improve the IM. OTOH that's a lot of current out of a PS.

Most higher powered SS amps are 2 or 4 individual PP amps/sections tied together with combiners. It works well with 2-meter amps There used to be one that had 4 sections and ran 600 watts. I had one for a while. The original owner talked me into selling it back to him. At times I wish I'd kept it.

You can do the same with 2-meter amps. Just disable the keying in one and let the remaining one key both. You do have to keep the phasing such that the signal from one doesn't get back into the input of the other and you end up with a high powered flip flop and the amps have to be identical for the simplest setup.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73, Bill W6WRT