Re: [Amps] Alpha Input SWR

To: ka4inm@gmail.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha Input SWR
From: Gerald Williamson via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 11:29:07 -0500
Hi All, as Ron and others said, the theory is solid: swr is determined by
the ratio between the transmission line impedance and load impedance.

What is often overlooked is that the load impedance of a cathode driven
amplifier is determined primarily by the cathode current. This impedance is
different for moderate drive levels compared to high drive levels.

One can see the amount of drive delivered to the amplifier will be less if
the swr seen by the transmitter is elevated. When the drive is less, the
cathode  current is less and the input impedance of the amplifier is higher.

With a 2:1 swr, the load impedance can fall between 25+j0 and 100+j0 on the
 chart. a mid range line length that is 45 degrees removed from 25+j0 would
be  caused by a load impedance of 40+j30. With low loss coax, the impedance
 seen by the transmitter would be within the same 2:1 circle on the chart.

So, by altering the length of the coax between the transmitter and
amplifier, a different load impedance can be presented to the transmitter. As
the
line length is adjusted, some of the lengths will allow a better match
between the transmitter and the coax line so that more drive power to be
delivered to the amplifier cathode. As the drive power increases, the load
impedance will decrease and cause the swr seen by the transmitter to  decrease.

The point of all this is to explain how swr can change as the line length
is changed. An antenna tuner can fix the problem as can a properly tuned
input  matching circuit (basically the same thing). The adjustments are correct
for  only one drive power setting though. Tuning things for maximum goo
sort of makes  for the optimum setting. At lower drive levels one is not overly
concerned about  amplifier input swr.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 1/11/2015 9:36:32 A.M. Central Standard Time,
ka4inm@gmail.com writes:

On 01/10/2015 11:53 PM, KB8NTY wrote:

>  Sounds like a neat program, thanks for link... however with all due
>  respect...I'm thinking the "feedline" is not being referenced. It is  the
> "transmission feedline" the coax that connects the amp to  the
> transceiver/transmitter, not the coax that runs to the  antenna.

> Theory is solid, yet real time first hand experiences  speak loudly. When
> users experience controlled SWR by means of  "transmission feedline"
> lengths, it's is hard to convince  otherwise.
> I would think though as has been mentioned there is a  dynamic that
> exists, by means of use of various  transceiver/amplifier's. So what one
> finds acceptable, may not work  the same for others. /* snip */

The theory NEVER  fails!  The language is frequently wrong.

The  standing wave ratio is the standing wave ratio and it refers only
to the  match between any transmission line impedance and it's  load's
impedance.  (never anything else)

What  happens when you change the length of the interconnecting feed
line between  two amplifiers (100 - 1,000 W) is, you are changing the
impedance  transformation caused by transmission line feeding a reactive
load.   Only if a transmission line feeds a load that matches it's surge
impedance  and is resistive at all frequencies involved does the input
impedance of  the transmission line equal the impedance of the load.
Otherwise an  impedance transformation occurs.

If exactly half wave  length (and even multiples) at the one frequency
in use it will repeat the  load impedance and reactance, which is very
handy for testing antennas with  the test equipment out of the near
field of the antenna.
If  exactly quarter wave length (and odd multiples) at the one
frequency in use  it will invert the load impedance and reactance,
which is very handy for  feeding extremely high impedance loads such as
the end of a half wave long  dipole antenna.
Any transmission line length between these  will transform in ways
between these two lengths.

If  the input impedance of an RF amplifier isn't resistive and many
are, just  not a lot of HAM amplifiers and the output impedance of it's
feeding  amplifier isn't adjustable the impedance transformation of  the
interconnecting cable (unless less than a foot) will effect the  load
impedance that the driving amplifier will be.

A  Heath DX-100B could feed a huge range of load impedances and
reactances, a  common cathode amplifier with a swamped input can have a
fixed resistive  input at all used frequencies, with either the length of
transmission line  will not be sensitive and you are using
neither, you either need a tuner  between the two amplifiers set to mimic
the effects of that golden length  or that (compromise if
multi-band) length of line.
--
Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
Every action results in unwanted side  effects.