Re: [Amps] The genius of ham radio

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] The genius of ham radio
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 14:21:59 -0500
I think the genius of ham radio is an individual expectation and
other opinions often appear as a chimera. It's all in what you see
the definition as fulfilling.

Some people require absolute precision and the strict adherence to
all things scientific. This is good because it allows repeatable
expectations to become the expected and with this gift you have
steady progress in technology.

Other people gifted at communication skills and beautifully
demonstrate the art and allure of ham radio; these people excel in
interpersonal communication between individuals both on and off the
radio. This is good because with this gift, friendships are bonded
and they convey a pleasant attraction of newcomers to the hobby.

To me, an example of a genius would be defined by my father W1BML, SK
last year and licensed as a ham in 1937: Scored 100% correct on his
IQ test, never went to college because of being brought up in a poor
family during the depression & then came the demands of WWII.
However, with only a High School degree he was the Principal Engineer
at General Dynamics, Electric Boat division at retirement. He always
and actively encouraged people to join Ham Radio and was a mentor to
the many who sought his experience and counsel both on and off the
air.

Most of us, certainly not me, do not have the ability to do what he
did, it takes a genius with foresight to do that. But we all
hopefully share parts of that. When I hear "The Genius of Ham Radio"
I think it takes many forms and just because one definition doesn't
fit my particular idea of "Genius", if it entails discovery and a
greater appreciation of the events around us, that to me is evidence
of genius.

My two shekels.

73,

Gary