Re: [Amps] The genius of ham radio

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] The genius of ham radio
From: Kimberly Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 07:44:39 -0800
I agree with Jim and Roger and take slight issue with Alek. We never do stuff
that theory says "won't work." We regularly do stuff that theory says "Won't
work well" or at least "won't work optimally." But if we do stuff that theory
says "won't work," it doesn't.

The point of this post isn't clear to me. Is it to sing praise to ignorance? If
it is, I take strong issue with the premise. If it is to sing praise to dogged
detrmination and prgamatism in using theory to make the best of what we have
available, then I happily join the choir. I suspect the former.

Yes, it's great to poke fun at the original ideas underlying our understanding
of how the world works. The idea of of phlogiston is hilarious. But as those
who enjoy doing so get a good laugh, they also need to understand that science
is fundamentally self-correcting. Ideas and explanations that do a poor job are
cast aside, based on evidence, for those that do a better job. These will be
cast aside as our knowledge expands.

The best hams, the most brilliant hams among us, are not ignorant appliance
operators but instead those that know the theory behind How Stuff Works well
enough to make the stuff they have do the job..

Kim N5OP