Re: [Amps] The genius of ham radio HANDBOOK

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>, "bolingce@gmail.com" <bolingce@gmail.com>, David Springer <davidsemailworld@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] The genius of ham radio HANDBOOK
From: Charles Henry <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 13:12:05 +0000
I scrupulously followed the diagrams from the 1957 ARRL Handbook which showed
this novice that year how to use a two pole, double throw knife switch to
change downcoming lightning off to ground.
I learned a lot about believing ARRL all the time when lightning directly hit
my 40m dipole, put up without modeling, melted the wire INSIDE the poly tv twin
lead, melted all the contacts on the switch (switched-to-ground, of course),
and dripped the molten metal into burn spots on wood floor, and genuinely
toasted the Globe Chief and S-38d.   My mom and I were seated across the small
room and got to see the three foot diameter ball of glowing orange fly over
against the other wall.  Oh, the thru-the-wall ground wire, #6, insulation
caught on fire, and I was handy there and snuffed it.
At age 15, I learned a little bit about EE books and the organization that put
this one on the market.  I admit creeping, increased skepticism ever since.
73, Charly  old KN4VUD, CUL OM
P.S., I later heard the lightning was sorely disappointed it did not find
PolyPhasers there to munch on for a snack.