Re: [Amps] The genius of ham radio

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] The genius of ham radio
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 02:56:52 +0000
   Now, saying that I have associated with academia for 32 years, I was chief
engineer in
an electronics company before that, Engineered Devices Company. I have to say
that I would not give up my career  in
the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Kentucky for
anything. Came
out a little poorer at retirement but the experience of working with Physicist
has given me
a better perspective and understanding of electronics than if I had continued
in industry. These guys realized that they needed
an engineer and that they did not know every thing. Too often a professor who
understands
things down to the subatomic level assumes that he knows what he needs or that
he can even
design it, all he then needs is a tech to build it. I have run into a few of
those but in the end proved
them wrong.
  I don't know the answer. Perhaps there is a way to get the ARRL back on
track.
It takes someone in the upper ranks there who can see the Handbook for what it
is
and get seek out the authors that can contribute to it and also start serious
peer
review rather than mutual pats on each others backs.

73
Bill wa4lav