Re: [Amps] k9yc pdf

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] k9yc pdf
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 09:45:55 -0800
On Tue,1/13/2015 4:03 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
This pdf is very well done..and a real eye opener.   It also assumes you
are in the middle of a wheat field in Kansas.

Not really -- what I've tried to do is show what matters, the effects of height and ground on both horizontal and vertical antennas. Those graphs showing the value, in dB, of antenna height, on 80, 40, and 20M. Yes, it assumes "flatland", but not infinite real estate. If you have irregular terrain (I do), you'll also need to use HFTA to get a handle on antenna height. But it does answer the question, "If I could somehow rig a 40M dipole between trees or a tree and a building at 60 ft, how much better is that than at 30 ft?"

There are companion pieces about 160M antennas (mostly talks about ground systems), and another that asks (and answers) the question, "If I could put my HF vertical on my roof, should I?" The second one is specifically looking at 40-10M. k9yc.com/publish.htm