Re: [Amps] Input SWR revisited

To: "'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Input SWR revisited
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 12:42:16 -0600
Hi Paul,

The VNA was calibrated at the VNA directional coupler port for 50 ohms
without any cable attached.

All cables used were 50 ohm.

When using the 75 ohm load with no tuner the SWR always read 1.5:1 no matter
which cable was used between the VNA and the 75 ohm load.

With the tuner in line and the 75 ohm load at the output side of the tuner
and the tuner adjusted for a 1:1 SWR at the VNA it made no difference which
length of line was used between the VNA and tuner. The SWR stayed the same.
Even with the tuner "detuned" for 2:1 or 3:1 SWR at the VNA, the SWR stayed
the same when changing cable lengths between the tuner and VNA.
My intent with this setup was to emulate the tuned input of an amp.

However:
Adjusting the tuner for 1:1 with the 75 ohm load directly on the output of
the tuner and keeping the same line after this between the tuner and VNA.
When changing the length of cable between the output side of the tuner and
the 75 ohm load, and leaving the input cable the same, I did see a change in
SWR at the VNA when changing with different cable lengths as I described in
my earlier post.
"with just a 4 foot cable on the output of the tuner between tuner and 75
ohm load the SWR was 1.8:1.
With the 10 foot cable SWR was 1.46:1.
With the 10 foot and 4 foot cable the SWR was 1.4:1"

This makes me wonder if people that are seeing an SWR change with different
lengths of cable between the radio and amp may have the radios tuner
involved?

73
Gary  K4FMX