Re: [Amps] Input SWR revisited

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Input SWR revisited
From: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@roadrunner.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 16:18:00 -0500
I think we're getting a couple of things confused here. The SWR on a transmission line and the
impedance along the line.

In Don's example, we have a 100 Ohm load fed thru a piece of 75 Ohm line. The SWR on the line is determined by the load impedance and the line impedance. In this case 100/75= 1.33. This does NOT change with changes in the length of the line. However, the impedance looking into the feed end of the line DOES change. If you use a Smith chart and draw a 2 to1 SWR circle, adding transmission line is equivalent to moving around the circle. The SWR remains the same but the impedance is different at every point. As you move around the circle, there are two points where the impedance is resistive. The first is when the electrical length of the line is 90 deg (1/4 wave) and the other is when the line is 180 deg (1/2 wave). The first case is the well known quarter wave transformer. In Don's example the impedance will be about 56 Ohms at the line input...a pretty good match to 50 Ohms. Since this magic only occurs when the line is electrically 90 deg (or odd multiples) it's
essentially a single band solution.

In the "old" days of linears with untuned inputs and drivers with Pi networks, there was often a magic length of line that allowed them to work together on all bands. With solid state drivers, it's necessary
to have a reasonably good impedance match looking into the amplifier input.

73, Roger