Re: [Amps] 833A GG

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 833A GG
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 03:01:20 -0600
Not recommended for GG on ANY band.. Not enough gain, for one thing; it
would take several hundred watts of drive power to obtain the legal limit.
Another issue is that the feedback capacitance is quite high.

Some tube data sheets I've seen imply that it can be used above 10 meters.
However, you'd almost certainly have to run two in P-P, beside using
neutralization, not to mention careful attention to every last detail such
as layout.

Now, I do know of a guy that did build a working GG 833 amp, but it was a
monoband (75m) amp. His 833 amp used a tuned input and required 600 watts
of drive power, IIRC. But it could put out more than the legal limit, even
by today's standards. I forget whether he used one or two tubes. I forget
his call, but he used to hang out on 3895 in years past. The last I knew,
he (Frank?) listens a lot on 3890 or 3892 at night.

I built a homebrew legal limit amp using two 833Cs in parallel,
swamped-grid-driven. I've used it successfully on 160, 80, and 40. However,
it's kind of touchy on 40; the grid impedance drops too low there, for one
thing (one sign that it needs neutralizing). It's kind of a work in
progress, but it works perfect on 80 and 160. Future plans are to
neutralize it with a tertiary winding in the broadband input matching
transformer connected to the plates through a HV neut cap, and eventually
see if it'll play on 20m.

Details and photos of the 833C amp are on www.w0btu.com if you're
interested.

The graphite plate version of the 833A is actually an 833C, BTW.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com