Re: [Amps] Biasing a Class C modulated final

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Biasing a Class C modulated final
From: Vic Rosenthal 4X6GP/K2VCO <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 11:09:42 +0200
I'm not sure what a 'pseudo zener' is, but it would need to dissipate about 45 W when transmitting to produce the portion of bias equal to cutoff, which is usually what the fixed bias supply does. And of course a plain zener could not cut off the plate current completely in standby, because there would be no bias generated unless some current was flowing.

The traditional clamp tube circuits that others have mentioned drop the screen voltage by pulling a lot of current through a dropping resistor from the plate supply. This also wastes a lot of power, especially with more than one 813. For example, a pair of 813's running at 2250 V plate and 400 V screen would require a dropping resistor of about 23000 ohms which would dissipate 147 watts under normal operating conditions (80 mA screen current). Assuming that the circuit includes a couple of VR tubes or equivalent to cut off the screen voltage completely, it would be necessary to drop the screen voltage to about 140 V, which would require 92 mA and 194 watts!

One 6L6 would not be able to handle it; probably two would be required.

Yes, I'm sure you could come up with sophisticated solid-state circuits to achieve the same results without all the heat, but I think the traditional grid bias supply is simpler. Operating bias is -155 V with the above parameters and if I remember correctly, cutoff is around -48 V or so, which is what will be required from the bias supply.