Re: [Amps] GS35B Gassy, or Arcing?

To: nemo zilch <nemozilch@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GS35B Gassy, or Arcing?
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 14:30:23 -0600
I went back and read more of that page after I got more fully awake. Forget
what I said about the 3800 volts for now.

Sometimes, high voltage applied to a tube, BUT with more current behind it
than you've applied, causes a one-time arc that clears a tiny bit of debris
that got in during manufacture. I've personally seen that happen with some
572Bs in my SB-200.

In my case, I added a 10-20 ohm glitch resistor and AGC 1 glass fuse in
series with the HV anode supply. The first time (IIRC) that I powered up
the amp, the fuse blew. When I replaced the fuse, the amp could be used.

That fuse blew two other times, but has never blown since (in over two
years.)

You never know unless you try, :-)

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com