Re: [Amps] more - oil bath GS-35b

To: "'Jim Thomson'" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] more - oil bath GS-35b
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 16:02:13 -0500
Yes there is a limit for flow rate in the heat exchanger. When the inlet and
outlet temperature become the same then higher flow rates will not help.
However with inlet and outlet temperatures near the same that is the more
efficient operation of the heat exchanger. That affords maximum surface area
temperature differential to the outside.

Increasing flow too much for a given system you come up against pressure
drop problems. This is a huge problem in cooling engines as the boiling
point can be exceeded where there are low pressure points. That is the
reason the system is run pressurized, to increase the boiling point.
Also flow is regulated in engines to keep temperatures more even.

Baffles are used in heat exchangers not to slow the flow but to enhance
surface area and liquid contact to the tubing. They force liquid to flow
into the bends and create turbulence that breaks up surface tension between
the coolant and the tubes. Same applies for air flow.

Cooling a tube is a little different in that there are no tubing channels in
this case. However if this was a tube with a water or oil jacket then
pressure drop would come into play more so.

73
Gary  K4FMX