Re: [Amps] more - oil bath GS-35b

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] more - oil bath GS-35b
From: Steve Wright <stevewrightnz@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 12:54:07 +1300

On 02/04/15 10:05, amps-request@contesting.com wrote:
Once the system has reached equilibrium the radiator is doing all it can with
a given air flow.
No, I do not want the cooling system running at maximum capacity at any time. Even at maximum plate dissipation key-down indefinitely, the system will not continue to rise in temperature to system failure. That's nay going to happen. None of the systems will be running within an inch of their lives, at the very least - not the cooling system.

Clearly maximizing the temperature difference on the tube's anode is not a good
idea.
Please quote sources.

  Also, I have disassembled several oil cooled aviation transmitters in the
past. The all had
the whole tube in the bath. Both had 4CN15A tubes. They had little heat sinks
on the anodes that
were very small and looked larger versions of the ones you press onto TO5
transistors. Also, one had
all the connections to the base soldered and the other in sockets. Never quite
understood that one.
Interesting! Maybe it is as simple as mounting a basic socket inside some simple metal tube, but securely bonding the grid to the chassis will be awkward.

GS-35b can be mounted on its side.

- In a well optimized system, coolant flow is so fast that there is very little
temperature difference between the fluid moving from the amplifier to the
radiator, and the fluid returning. Thanks to this, the whole system (all of the
tube, all of the radiator, etc) are almost at the same temperature. This allows
using the smallest possible radiator, among other advantages.
As above, I want plenty of reserve capacity available. Plenty of badness will occur if oil temps and pressures begin to rise and the system has "a problem". I have the space to run a substantial oil-to-air cooler, and even stack a few of them if necessary.

Oil flow controls tube temperature. High tube oil-bath outlet temperature will swap the pump from half-speed (noise reduction) to full speed (maximum tube cooling.)

Radiator outlet temperature is the temperature sensing point for the fans.

There is a very small reservoir, for the purpose of managing expansion of oil due heating. The reservoir is nothing to do with system capacity. The reservoir will be purged and slightly pressurised with an inert gas. There will be zero "air" or moisture in the system.

I followed this thread only superficially, but I think I saw questions about
immersing the tube and tank circuit and everything in oil. I fear that doing so
might cause trouble due to large stray capacitances. They are about 3 to 4 times
higher than in air, depending on the kind of oil used.
Yes, this has been established. A rise in the anode capacitance may prevent 50MHz operation, but there are many tricks up sleeves yet.

And it's a mess, of course!

Manfred
Not at all, it'll be very tidy and clean. I don't like scruffy, dirty, and leaky things. Except myself of course - I am plenty scruffy dirty and leaky! ;)

Thanks for your help with the transformer too, Manfred! I hope to be winding it next week.

Cooling a tube is a little different in that there are no tubing channels in
this case. However if this was a tube with a water or oil jacket then
pressure drop would come into play more so.
A diffuser will be used to direct oil through the (stock) heatsink fins.

The standard heatsink COULD be used - it would be complete overkill. A smaller heatsink could be used, which would nearly halve the width of the whole unit, AND lower the anode capacitance. This is a good idea.

Steve