[Amps] Hunter Bandit 2000C, arcing in the tuning cap.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Hunter Bandit 2000C, arcing in the tuning cap.
From: Kathy Bookmiller via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 11:23:43 -0700
About 6 weeks ago I wrote about some problems I was having resurrecting a
Hunter 2000C.
Colin Lamb came through with the shorting switch I needed, thanks again Colin.
The question of what the meters were ended up being solved, It was a 1ma for
plate voltage and current, and a 200mma for watt meter for anyone's future
reference.
Everything is back up and running fine, but for one last problem. As I tune up,
I'm getting some arcing in the tuning capacitor at times.
I've visually inspected it as best I can and can't see any problems, like bent
parts or and differences in the spacing between plates. Obviously I don't want
this to continue before I cause pitting to occur.
I'm wondering if there is still HV insulation spray available. I remember years
ago having a spray can of a red insulation that I used on some big filter caps
that were arching down the ceramic posts and it stopped the problem. Or should
I look for some thin Teflon sheets that could be inserted somehow between
plates to add that needed protection?
Anyone have any ideas what I can do to stop this? Both loading and tuning use E
F Johnson type 154-40 variables, but the problem is happening with the tuning
one, not the loading one.
73,
Kathy
PS It isn't a swr problem as  it has happened even with my Cantenna dummy load.