[Amps] HV transformer and Variac

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] HV transformer and Variac
From: Steve Bookout <steve@nr4m.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 03:03:56 +0000
Hello all.

Question for the experts.

How does using a Variac to control the output of a HV transformer affect things like efficiency?

I think it would be reasonable to think that a transformer operated at less than rated input voltage would be less efficient than one run at full primary voltage. I mean, it cost 'something' just to make a transformer act like a transformer.

I ask because I have a perfectly fine 'pole pig' transformer rated at 5 KVA. 7200 AC volts on the output (reversed) is a bit much for my needs, so was wondering what the trade-off would be if it were run at considerably less than 220 input.

I can see this is a better xformer for a 4cx10000, than anything I would be using, but I have what I have.

73 de Steve, NR4M