Re: [Amps] HV transformer and Variac

To: xxw0qe@comcast.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV transformer and Variac
From: Gerald Williamson via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 12:33:58 -0400
Hi Larry, thanks for adding that analysis.

Your approach clears up something that has bothered me about Variacs for a
long time: When you examine the tap/brush part of the device it is obvious
the  more then one turn of the autotransformer is being connected to the
sliding  tap at the same time. That means that one or more turns are shorted.

A shorted turn in a conventional transformer will result in a large current
 flow, copious amounts of smoke and likely some sparks as well.

Using the inductive analysis, a shorted turn simply reduces the total
inductance and I assume only a small amount of IR loss in the shorted turn(s).
At r.f. a shorted turn coupled to an inductor acts to reduce the total
inductance. There have even been some published designs using a tuning  device
made of a rotated shorted turn to resonate the plate circuit in a 6 meter
amplifier.

Perhaps your Spice program can analyze the loss caused by a shorted  turn
in an autotransformer?

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 7/23/2015 4:43:18 P.M. Central Daylight Time,