Re: [Amps] Follow-up...re: Time to ask for help.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Follow-up...re: Time to ask for help.
From: Vic Rosenthal 4X6GP/K2VCO <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 17:49:12 +0300
OK, it has a PI input. I suspect there was originally a swamping resistor from grid to ground and the PI circuit is intended as a low-pass filter matching device to compensate for the grid-cathode capacitance. I used a similar circuit in my 4CX1K amp.

The idea is that the grid-ground capacity adds to the output capacitor of the PI circuit. This allows the input circuit to operate over a wide frequency range, as long as it is below the cutoff frequency of the filter. But you need the swamping resistor.

Is there any indication that a large non-inductive resistor was removed?

The neutralizing capacitor should not be where you have it. In that position it is an "un-neutralizing capacitor" and will increase the tendency to oscillate! Take it out.

My previous advice was based on my assumption that the input tank circuit was a parallel-tuned circuit. The PI doesn't lend itself to bridge neutralization as I suggested. But if you had a 50 ohm swamping resistor, it would probably be stable without neutralization.

73,
Vic, 4X6GP/K2VCO
Rehovot, Israel
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/