Re: [Amps] 600W vs 1.5KW amps was: Re: SS amps and

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 600W vs 1.5KW amps was: Re: SS amps and
From: BJ <fxb1982@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 18:13:29 +0000
I used to love heavy legal limit iron and still do.  I like regional ssb rag
chewing on 160 & 80.  Like many I have a full size low dipole for this work and
can attest that the difference between 600, 1000, and 1500 watts is little if
any.  I used to run 1500 watts regularly but sold that capability.  Now I run
600 or 1000 watts because my back can handle moving those amps (Acom 600S &
AL-80A) and none of the regulars I communicate with have complained about my
non legal limit signal.

If 600 or 1000 watts doesn't cut it, perhaps 1500 may make a difference but
having to listen to very noisy band conditions like that for long periods tends
to drive me to the recliner and remote control.

I kind of miss seeing the PEP watt meter easily swing to 1500 though!

73, k0cwo