Re: [Amps] MOSFET amp filtering - was: auto-tune

To: "'Manfred Mornhinweg'" <manfred@ludens.cl>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MOSFET amp filtering - was: auto-tune
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 22:12:32 -0600
Hi Manfred,

Inter modulation is just what the term implies. Two or more signals modulate
each other in the signal path. For this to happen there needs to be a non
linear device in the path to cause modulation to occur.

A single signal by itself passing thru a non linear amp will generate
harmonics but not IMD. If a second signal is present it will modulate the
first signal and the first signal will modulate the second.

Any time you want to transmit more than one signal thru an amplifier the
amplifier must be linear. Of course SSB contains more than one signal
(frequency) at any given time as does a two tone signal.

If those signals are pre-distorted before they reach the amplifier that in
itself will not cause IMD. But if the distortion causes new and more
frequencies to be generated then the linear amplifier will have more signals
to deal with and can more easily be driven into overload which will cause
the amplifier to operate farther from linear and that will cause IMD.

A class B amplifier doesn't cause IMD because it cuts off one half of the
cycle provided that it remains linear over that half cycle. It does however
generate high second harmonic energy.
Class B audio amplifiers are usually run in push pull to cancel the harmonic
distortion. But if they generated IMD because they were a class B amplifier
they wouldn't be very useful as an audio amplifier.
Although a distortion free class B amplifier is hard to obtain, in reality
what is called class B is usually AB, which is not totally cutoff when the
lower half of the signal is present. This increases the linearity and allows
close to class B operation.

Maybe I am missing something here?

73
Gary  K4FMX