Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 06:25:45 -0500
A dipole that will last is something I can build in a few minutes including the choke, support rope, and coax.that will take far more than the legal limit and will outlast me. True, I've built many at many locations and have "everything on hand.", BUT I have very limited use of my left hand. (Another reason for using crimp connectors.) Try doing this with just one hand. <:-) Like hams learn to adapt parts, a person can learn to adapt as well. Of course, it helps greatly that I grew up on a farm.

Center and end insulators on e-bay, coax from many sources, crimp connectors, likewise.. I already have a tower, but a line over a tree to haul up an inverted V, or the upper end of a sloping dipole.

They "can be" quick, simple, and robust, IF and I emphasize the If you know the antenna basics and where to find the parts. I use Copper split nuts and never solder wire antennas. OTOH the ones I do put up are usually under considerable tension. Tension on the order of between 100 and 200#

Being cheap served us well for many years, because we could find quality surplus parts for low prices. Not so much now days. Cheap means DIN connectors with low temp molded plastic that were meant for use in machine assembly, not hand soldered. These are the same connectors that are used in big name computers and ham gear. It means undersize wire, poor insulation, poor quality parts. Cheap now gets us cheap parts most of the time.

73, Roger (K8RI)