Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 18:56:06 -0500
As for a 2 man rule, they didn't practice that even in the shop when working with multi ton power transformers inside their cages.

Every one should have the experience of being about 3 or 4 feet from a 50,000 Joule Varistor when it is vaporized leaving the #8 leads pointing straight out. We (those who worked on live power packs) made it a practice to never get in front of those varistors and to never look at one. Their departure was accompanied by a brilliant/blindly bright flash and it was LOUD! BTW those transformers were about 5' X 5' and heavy enough we had to put 3 or 4 men on the back end of the standard fork lift to keep the back wheels on the pavement. Otherwise the forks never lifted the transformer.

I can think of many times I was "nearly" killed, but none have to do with HV...well maybe one, but I don't think of 500 VDC as high voltage after working with 200KW, and more RF generators. The Hallicrafters PS for the series of rigs, HT44, SR150, SR160 and maybe more, had two jacks on the chassis for measuring plate current. I was actually up on the equipment bench where the station was set up. This home brew table was the standard height above the basement floor, or a few inches shy of 3 feet.

I had the probes from a DVM stuck into those jacks on the PS. I had to reach over to move the DVM. This DVM had a painted steel case and bare metal handle. Unbeknownst to me, my fingers had slipped down and were touching the probe tips. IIRC those jacks were on the ends of a 10 ohm resistor "in the HV line". So I had just shorted the 500 plus VDC to ground through me. No, it didn't throw me. There is a big difference between grabbing hold of something and touching it. "Both" cause violent muscle contraction, but the results are quite different. That sucker had me! In one arm and out the other with my heart in the middle. I was aware of the pain and then I was laying on my back on the concrete floor, gasping for breath.

I had apparently curled up, gone unconscious, and rolled forward off the bench, (breaking the connection). I had landed on the floor, right in front of the bench.

At any rate, I was back among the living, although gasping for breath and sweating like crazy. I had cheated death once more.

73, Roger (K8RI)