[Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 170, Issue 27

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 170, Issue 27
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 09:57:12 -0800
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 09:41:53 -0600
From: Jay Terleski <jayt@arraysolutions.com>
To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 170, Issue 27

> What your missing Jim is this is a Balun for the band below 10m 8o)  Where
> the real amplifiers are used.
>
> We sell a few of these a year to these big amp enthusiasts, and I am many
> times impressed with their knowledge of what it takes to run and maintain
> these amplifiers.  Some guys even have 3 phase running into their basements
> where they have a large power plant.
> We build these with EIA flanges too.  Also some agencies buy our bigger
> baluns for their applications.  We usually consult with them to get the
> best performance from the custom baluns for their frequency range.
>
> Thanks for asking.
>
> Jay, WX0B
>

> Jay Terleski
> Array Solutions
> 214 954 7140

##  Jay,  I posted the query on the amp reflector in error, so also posted it
on tower talk.
In the balun section on your site, its listed as 1.5 to 60 mhz.    On the
actual page its
listed as  1.8 to 30 mhz.   As I noted on my reply on the tower talk forum,
after looking at it closer, and
blowing the page up bigger, the marker is set to 26.980   so I surmised it was
optimized for the 11m folks.
2  internal turns, with an aprx external 2 to 2.4 inch  spaced single turn,
passing through 6 x type 43 cores
appears at 1st glance, to be 1 turn  short.   I would have guessed that  3
turns through the  6 x cores, with 2
external loops would have  nailed it, but thats just an observation on my part.

##  I was initially more baffled about the 1.5 to 60 mhz spec..and also the 1.8
to  30 mhz spec than anything else.
The price tag of the unit  did not enter into the equation.  It was the super
wide  freq range that I noted.  I have not
been on your site in a while, so it threw me at first glance.  I didnt see the
26.980 marker on the small lap top screen.
If I had, I would not have posted a query.  If the 11m  folks cant blow it up,
you have nailed it.

Later.... Jim   VE7RF