Re: [Amps] Tubes, transistors, and 'abuse'

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>, Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes, transistors, and 'abuse'
From: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 12:12:46 +0000 (UTC)
Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com> wrote:
> Cathy James <n5wvr@arrl.net> wrote:

>> I've lost track of the number of times I've had to replace the IRF510
>> MOSFETs in my HFPacker 35
>> watt amp.  This is a good little amp, but it eats IRF510 transistors for
>> breakfast. It is Class A, with two
>> devices in parallel.

> Did you miss where I said "when not abused"?

Did you miss where I said "When 'pick up the component in your hand' qualifies
as 'abuse', you have an issue"?

> I'm sure you are not personally abusing them, but something in the
> environment is
> and they are clearly not being properly protected.

Again, the point is that they require extreme protection. Tubes don't.

> When you handle them, do you have an anti-static mat and wear a ground wrist
> strap?

In my previous email, I wrote "I'm reasonably careful, avoiding unnecessary
component handling during installation,
and wearing a grounding strap on my wrist."  No, I don't have an anti-static
mat.

When you handle tubes, do you use an anti-static mat? :-)

73,
Cathy
N5WVR