Re: [Amps] rich Richard - tiny antenna

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] rich Richard - tiny antenna
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 04:47:50 -0500
>>At one frequency, perhaps. But it takes some real tricks (good ones) to get a
>>dipole apparent SWR (as read at the transmitter) under 2:1 for 400 kHz of
>>80/75. Ditto for 160M.

This sounds like the comments of the folks who are slaves to coax and
have multitude of dipoles up to cover HF.   Or, they try cage dipoles
to cover 80 m.  The lengths the plastic radio/auto tuner crowd take,
to cling to coax at all costs is laughable.

All that is needed is open wire line and a link coupled balanced
matching network.  One or two dipoles for all of HF.  This fixation on
coax for everything is part of the modern obsession with auto-tuners
and plastic radios, solid state leenyars, ferrite feedpoint baluns,
junk antennas (OCF dipole, G5RV...) ad nausum making ham radio
basically glorified CB now for many.  All so that we can push a button
and never have to manually do anything.

Magazines such as CQ and QST are partly to blame.  QST has equated
"resonance" with low vswr!   A recent issue of QST could have been
called the "Coax no matter what" issue.  In it were two or three
articles solving problems that would not exist if the antenna were fed
with open wire line and a balanced matching network

>Over engineering is a rookie's mistake. Good engineers get paid the
>good $$$ to make the product adequate for the job and no more.

That's always the comment of hams trying to justify cheap junk.

Or to put it another way, I like good engineering but CCS Quality!
There's nothing wrong with CCS for ham.  In fact for AM, RTTY, SSTV,
it is mandatory.

>2. Safer. A 50 VDC supply is essentially harmless. 3 kV will kill you
>instantly.

Any pantywaist who subscribes to this should get rid of every vacuum
tube item in his place of residence.  300 v. dc B+ in a receiver or
audio amp will kill you just as well.  Before you junk your Navigator
or 75A-4 let me know.  I'll pay for the shipping.  It's gotten to
where the few new items that use tubes have nanny state CYA legal
warning plastered all over the rear panel warning of HIGH VOLTAGE
(duh).  Ditto for ham magazines with the paltry few articles on tube
gear.

73

Rob
K5UJ