[Amps] rich Richard - tiny antenna

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] rich Richard - tiny antenna
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 11:10:25 -0700
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 08:59:59 -0600
From: Thomas Walsh <w2co@comcast.net>
To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] rich Richard - tiny antenna

This idea that everyone needs to have a tuner inline is rediculous
it is NOT needed, as a matter of fact the insertion loss of any tuner
is in the order of at least a couple db anyway. The homebrew guys
today are an endangered species!
Here is an example of an amp that will eat tuners for breakfast!
http://www.myhamshack.com/HamShackPictureViewer/10619/YC156-tank-set-for-12m.aspx
It took only a few months and some mri pulls that I knew were still
good, actually the most expensive thing is the transformer.
There is no protection circuitry, and must be connected to an already
resonant load! Or it will eat it! The only tuner I know of that won't
melt down from this beast is the collins 180Y-1, but that is a 5KW
tuner. NO! It's resonant loads ONLY at this power level. Get busy
appliance ops, and build your own dream amp and save your hard earned
money! Or if you must throw away money, buy an Alpha 9500 and at least
let it do the tuning for you. But remember it also must have an already
resonant load or things will cook - tuner or no tuner.
W2CO

## Now that amp, per the pix is the real deal.  If you want to see the 80-10m,
9 kw out version, + mating B+  supply, with its  10 kva pole pig, using the
same YC-156 tube, click here
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ham_amplifiers/photos/albums/654737392

##  Its also on the main page of the site.
Its runs full bore qsk on cw too.   I helped to design it for a buddy..and
supplied the completed
HV supply + other misc parts like the vac tune and load cap, etc.   Very rapid
band change too,
just dial it up by the numbers. B+ supply and CX-33 blower are remoted below
the shack. In
summer, hot air blown outside. In winter, hot air stays in the basement..free
heat.  On a side note,
I get a laff outa these QRP folks who all have a 1000-1500  watt electric
heater in the shack, in
winter time.

Jim  VE7RF