[Amps] blowing up CMOS

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] blowing up CMOS
From: Steve Wright <stevewrightnz@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 08:38:17 +1200
On 12/04/17 04:00, Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl> and one other
wrote:

>>> ground wrist strap?
> And in this regard I must have missed something... Because I don't
> have an anti-static mat, nor do I have a grounding wrist strap. [....]
>   I can't remember having lost any of them due to static while
> handling it. In fact the only case I can remember when I did lose
> something to static was a case of sheer stupidity (stupid action trimmed)

Another pearl from Manfred.  Hiya mate, hope you are well!

Many people don't know how to hand-over-hand bond their path in front of
their movements, or else they don't have the level of forward-planning
and thinking that is required to automatically do it.  Basically, you
never move the vulnerable component to a new area unless your spare hand
has touched it first.  So you would pick up the static-free bag with the
component already bonded to the bag, and now you have bonded your body
to the bag and component - at this point you can safely take the
component out of the bag, AND safely put that component down on some
conductive surface PROVIDED you bonded yourself to said surface by
touching it first with your free hand, and so on.  Hand-over-hand
bonding.  For those people whose brain cannot be trained to do this
automatically - buy a bonding strap with a high-value resistor in it.