Re: [Amps] Emergency communication

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Emergency communication
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 13:29:22 -0700
YES! Wayne Burdick, principal and chief engineer at Elecraft, comes out of the world of backpacking rigs, and his receivers are optimized to minimize current draw. The K3/K3S, designed for desktop use, draw the most, about 1A. The KX3, designed primarily for backpacking, draws about 150 mA. Max out is about 10W, and there's an outboard 100W brick amp that very neatly integrates with the KX3 (there's an optional tuner, controlled by buttons on the KX3. I loaned my KX3 and KXPA100, along with a 20Ah LiFePO4 battery to a team that backpacked in about 2 miles with a 1,000 ft climb to activate a rare 6M grid in Nor Cal. W6GJB also loaned his 20Ah battery.

They adopted W7GJ's excellent strategy to save battery by NOT calling CQ, but rather posting to VHF chat rooms for those wanting a QSO to call him, and he responds to those he copies. At the end of the day, they were still on the first battery.

73, Jim K9YC