Re: [Amps] Ham Tests, was Price per Watt Conversation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ham Tests, was Price per Watt Conversation
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 18:36:01 -0700
If the conversation was about EmComm, then why wasn't that listed on the Subject Line? :) And how did we get to EmComm from Price per Watt Conversation? And from there to a religious discussion of the virtues of CW, and how discontinuing a CW requirement has destroyed ham radio. None of which I accept. My response was to W8HW, whose perception of CW activity differs from mine by an order of magnitude. Like I said earlier, I'm a CW op, have been all my life. But I don't try to deny reality by saying the CW bands are hopping when they are not.

Several days ago, I went nearly a week back in that thread to find anything about Price per Watt! Why? Because being the son of accountants, I wanted to add to that conversation the additional factor of the useful life of the amplifier.

That's how I look at an investment -- if I spend $3K to buy a power amp (or a radio), I expect it to last a while. I own three Titans that I bought used for about $1.5K each and have used for more than ten years. If I sell one for $1K (I should be able to get more), it's cost me $50 per year for 1.5kW. Which works out to $0.033 per year per watt. And -- if I'd bought it new around 1987 for $3K and it dies in 2017, it's cost me $100 a year for 1.5 kW, that's $0.066 per watt per year. One of those three amps lost it's transformer over the winter, so this is not a hypothetical. :)

Why did I go through those examples? Because that long discussion morphed into the service life of solid state and hollow state devices. When we have to give up on a product because parts become unobtainium (remember the first Ten Tec solid state amp, when Motorola discontinued the devices only a year or two into production?)

73, Jim K9YC