Re: [Amps] Ham Tests, was Price per Watt Conversation

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ham Tests, was Price per Watt Conversation
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 02:06:08 +0000

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 18:36:01 -0700, K9YC wrote:

>When we have to give up on a product because parts become unobtainium
>(remember the first Ten Tec solid state amp, when Motorola discontinued
>the devices only a year or two into production?)

REPLY:

I wouldn't worry too much about transistors becoming unobtainable
because equivalents will nearly always be available. Compared to
tubes, transistors don't have nearly as many physical variations and
many of the later ones will be drop-in replacements. Not so much with
tubes without replacing sockets and re-wiring.

In either case, where there's a will there's a way.

73, Bill W6WRT