Re: [Amps] SWR and amplifiers

To: ka4inm@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Amps] SWR and amplifiers
From: Vic Rosenthal <k2vco.vic@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 08:15:25 +0300
Everything Ron said is correct-- except that when an amplifier is generating
1000 watts and feeding an antenna through a line with an SWR that results in
100 watts reflected power, the usual SWR/power meter will show 1100 watts
forward and 100 reflected. A meter like the Alpha 45xx has the option of
computing "delivered power", which is forward-reflected.

In the situation described by Bill, the actual power generated is 900 watts,
and the antenna will radiate 900 watts less the losses incurred. The multiple
reflections of a portion of that power are what cause the additional losses due
to SWR.

Don't believe this? You can test it. Transmit a given power into a 50 ohm load
and note the reading. Say forward power is 10 watts and reflected is 0. Then
change the load impedance so there is an SWR greater than 1:1. You will note
that forward and reflected readings will both increase about the same amount.

Vic 4X6GP