Re: [Amps] SB220 step start blows fuses

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB220 step start blows fuses
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 09:25:47 -0500
If you were to use this light bulb current limiter safety thing, but on a 220 variac, I assume you would have to put a light into each leg true?

Joe WB9SBD
Sig
The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com
On 7/10/2017 7:50 AM, donroden@hiwaay.net wrote:
Agree with Gary !!

Make a tester out of a garage light with a 300 or 500 watt halogen element. ( or pair ) relatively inexpensive and I always need an extra light when looking for things in my garage.

Don W4DNR

Quoting Gary Schafer <garyschafer@largeriver.net>:

You don't have a big enough bulb.

I use two 300 watt bulbs in parallel. 300 watt bulbs are about the largest
you can find easily.

I made up the bulb unit using a square electrical box and mounted two
outdoor light sockets on it, an outlet and a regular house switch to short
out the bulbs when I want to bypass the series bulbs.
It works great for checking amps. It is really nice if you have an
intermittent arc or want to let suspect capacitors cook for awhile with the amp is in standby as no harm is done if something arcs, the bulbs just light
up bright.

I sometimes plug the light bulb setup into a variac too.

73

Gary  K4FMX