Re: [Amps] Grid dip meters 2 models, opinions?

Subject: Re: [Amps] Grid dip meters 2 models, opinions?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 09:51:26 -0700
On 9/5/2017 2:47 AM, Conrad PA5Y wrote:
The VNWA3 needs a PC to work which is also not convenient

Understood.

and is also 10 times more expensive.

Yes. But as others have observed, it does SO much more that a GDO cannot, or cannot do easily or with much precision. Like characterizing components to include their parasitic R, L, and C, making TDR measurements, swept antenna measurements that can exported to design software like SimSmith, and 2-port measurements of networks and filters, and of the crosstalk between antennas.  A few months ago, I needed to select capacitors from my "junk box" with low ESR at the frequency of interest for a circuit. The VNWA 3e made that very easy.  Years before, I used my VNWA 3E to align bandpass filters, simultaneously monitoring attenuation and return loss vs frequency as I adjusted the coils. Just as I had done 50 years ago tuning up some of the first Drake TR3s. There, the test equipment cost a LOT more.

73, Jim K9YC