Re: [Amps] Amplifier lifetime

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amplifier lifetime
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 14:41:26 +0000
My NCL-2000 is now close to half a century old, and still works perfectly. I got it cheaply, roughly 20 years ago, when it was in bad condition due to dead filter caps, some dead bleeder resistors, and a minor problem in the bias circuit. The repair was easy, and was helped by the amplifier's user manual giving all service information one may need for a device as simple as this.

I consider this to be a "good" design, because longer lasting filter caps simply weren't available when it was made, and because adequate service information was provided with it. It has lasted until becoming obsolete (quite a few years ago), and still lasts.

I would use it more, if it wouldn't make this nasty blower noise. Currently I only switch it on for a while when I absolutely need it to finish a QSO while the propagation is going. I hope to soon take it out of service, when my solid state EER squeme goes online. But at that point I won't throw it away! It has life left in it, so I will likely find a noise-resistant buyer and a loving home for it...

Manfred