Re: [Amps] Henry 2k-4 HV inductor

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 2k-4 HV inductor
From: donroden@hiwaay.net
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 11:52:10 -0600
Some good points, but I have used parallel caps on HV input inductors with great results. Collins used a parallel capacitor on their power supplies for the Collins KWM2 transceiver. Select the proper capacitor from a handful of close values, and the voltage goes down to 800 volts with very little ripple. If the capacitor opens up, the voltage soars to 1050 unloaded then drops to 800 under load.... not good regulation.

So I used tuned inductors on HV supplies with similar results.

for lower voltage supplies ... 300 volts or so, I built a FET series regulator to knock down the ripple.

Don R

Quoting Ron Youvan <ka4inm@gmail.com>:

Elliott W6EL L wrote:

Alright, there were some really interesting comments on this question,
thank you all!

If I were to ditch the hV choke and keep the plate transformer, can I
simply add additional caps in parallel with the existing 20uF cap? Will an
extra 20-40uF do the trick? I see a lot on eBay coming out of Russia.

Also, should I be worried about the increase of inrush on power-on?

I like the idea of ditching the choke, it really does seem unnecessary.

  The primary advantage of using a L or Pi filter (rather than a brute
force {just capacitance} filter) is the reduced amount of energy stored
in capacitance which is undesirable when an arc is experienced.
The extra storage energy and the lack of inductance (which reduces the amount of extra current from the rectifier/s) add to the amount of energy that shall be dissipated in the tube/s or other fault.

  It is a safety thing.  (for the tube/s)

Pi filters are seldom used for low Voltage supplies (100. Volts and under) because little "arcs" at these Voltages.
--
  Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                Every action results in unwanted side effects.