Re: [Amps] Henry 2k-4 HV inductor

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 2k-4 HV inductor
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 21:16:22 -0500
  On 12/13/2017 01:15 PM, Jim Thomson wrote:

 /* snip */
## Although the tuned choke concept works, it really is a throwback to the 1950s. IF the choke and parallel resonating cap just happen to resonate at 120 hz, the peak V across that parallel tuned choke will skyrocket, and both the cap and choke will explode. Typ the choke is resonated just a bit higher than 120 hz, like 123 to 124 hz. When u start sucking loads of plate current, the inductance of the choke will DECREASE a bit, and the resonance of the choke + resonating cap combo will INCREASE some more, like now up to 124-130 hz.
 /* snip */

  I must have been taught all wrong, I was taught the capacitor (to
ground) is in series with the series inductor forming a series resonant
circuit that conducts the 120 Hz to ground, instead of storing energy
like the "brute force" large capacitor. (bank)
--
  Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                Every action results in unwanted side effects.