Re: [Amps] Henry 2k-4 HV inductor

To: "'Jim Thomson'" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 2k-4 HV inductor
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 13:52:04 -0600

A tuned choke is used to enable a smaller choke to be used.

A tuned choke filter has much better dynamic regulation than a conventional
choke circuit. A conventional choke is undesirable for SSB use.

You cannot replace a tuned choke with a non tuned choke unless you go to a
very high value of choke inductance as the voltage will soar otherwise and
you will lose the dynamic regulation.

A tuned choke MUST BE TUNED TO 120 Hz at idle load current. Not above or
below 120 Hz. It requires a critical idle load current.

When tuned to 120 Hz it provides the most impedance which lowers the peak
voltage at the output of the filter system.
A tuned choke will shift slightly out of resonance when increased current is
drawn and compensate for voltage drops holding the output more constant.

The voltage rating of the tune capacitor across the choke needs to be twice
the supply voltage.

This is described in some of the Collins SSB books.

73
Gary  K4FMX