[antennaware] Homebrew vertical construction

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [antennaware] Homebrew vertical construction
From: nw9g@netusa1.net (W9SN)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 07:50:54 -0500
Has anyone had success with 67' tall verticals for 80 meters?
Owning my own plumbing buss, I can buy copper pipe for a great
price.  I currently have a 40 meter 4-square made from copper
that starts out at one inch and reduces to 1/2 inch at the top.
I can buy copper locally up to 3" by 20' ft long.  Just wondering
if I started out at 3" and reduce to 2" then so on.  Not sure
if it will structurally stand and stay up.
        The 4-square has 4x4 wood posts that are sunk in the ground
with 2x4's strapped to the elements that pivot on the 4x4's.  That
way, I can raise and lower them and takes some of the stress off of
the copper.  Been up for nearly 2 years without any trouble.
2 elements on 80 this winter would be nice.  Any thoughts guys??
Thanks.....

                                Steve Narducci
                        Amateur Radio Station -  W9SN
                          All Ten Tec Equiptment