[antennaware] Homebrew vertical construction

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [antennaware] Homebrew vertical construction
From: gary@noblepub.com (Gary Breed)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:21:11 -0400
Patrick

A note on some past modeling in this arena...

A few months ago, a fellow ham wanted to shunt feed a tower
and put up elevated radials in a space too small for 1/4-wave
straight radials.  I took a VERY QUICK look at three different
types (all 8 feet abover ground) --

1) A bunch of short radials (about 1/8 wave long)
2) a grid or screen of radials and interconnecting wires,
occupying about 1/4 x 1/4 wave square space with the
vertical in the middle.
3) four 1/4-wave radials bent or "spiraled" to fit available space.

If the NEC-2 models are to be believed, the spiraled 1/4-wave
radials were somewhat better (>1 dB) than either the grid
or the short radials.  When you add the fact that additional
inductive loading is needed to obtain a match with the short
radials and grid, the extra loss makes the spiral radials
look even better.  The spiral radials system was about 1.5 dB
down from four straight 1/4-wave radials, not too bad for
half the diameter.

The spiral radials need to be longer than a free-space quarter
wave to make them resonant, since they are bent and current
cancellation occurs.

It also appears that the spiral concept applies to top loading,
as well -- getting more effective loading in the same space as
a conventional top hat.

Like I said, this was a really quick analysis, done just for the
curiosity of the moment.  It may be worth taking a closer look.

73, Gary, K9AY