Re: [Antennaware] radials

To: "KC7VDA" <KC7VDA@keepandbeararms.com>,<antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] radials
From: "David L. Foreman" <davelf11@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 14:49:02 -0700
Good afternoon, Dan.

The Gap  Challenger Multiband DX antenna that the OPRC has or had available,
uses three counter poise wires and from reading the manual,
and my emails with Gap, are buried just like radials, although you could
elevate them with the antenna.
The person the answered my email to Gap asked my why I wanted to elevate the
eitire antenna and counter poise system.
Below is what Gap says about the antenna.
Dave
KE7FZJ
CQ tested the Challenger and established that on 2m, for example, its gain was
approximately 6 to 8dB. On 40m compared to a mono band vertical, they found
Challenger an S unit stronger. This is typical of the many reports received
from amateurs around the world. Challenger is designed to be mounted directly
in the ground or elevated. A ground mount is provided with each antenna. With
the ground mount in place, the Challenger simply drops in. If necessary,
because of space limitations, but not to improve performance, Challenger may be
roof mounted since it does not require earth loss to obtain a 50 ohm match.
Challenger requires a counter poise of three 25ft. insulated wires. They may be
buried or just scattered on the ground. Symmetrical deployment is not critical.
Adding additional wire will not significantly improve performance. All of these
are covered in a 16-page assembly manual provided with each antenna.