Re: [Antennaware] Modeling

To: "'Guy Olinger K2AV'" <olinger@bellsouth.net>, "'DAVID CUTHBERT'" <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Modeling
From: "Stephen Kangas" <stephen@kangas.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 20:18:54 -0800
I agree, Guy.  Having learning & using 3 modeling programs with various NEC
engines, and after sitting down with an engineer friend who has one of those
expensive modeling programs ($1000s), the "comparisons" I've concluded are
that (1) modeling programs are simply a starting point and that nearly
always I've had to put it up, prune/extend/move nearly as many times as the
"old days", (2) some antennas model/predict much better than others in these
programs (eg, yagis=good, certain wires=poor), (3) the pro program(s) is
*much* more accurate than the "affordable" & freebie ones, (4) modeling is
great for filtering out the junk designs before building, (5) modeling helps
most people learn more about antenna/transmission line/balun-unun theory,
albeit requiring a great deal of patience & time to do so (primarily because
of poor UI, usability, and doc).  I now always use a modeling program, but
for antennas it's definitely not "design, build, and it works first time".
That coming from a EE who's built antennas since a teenager and now what
little hair I haven't pulled out is grey :-)

FWIW IMO,
Stephen W9SK