new Icom transceiver

Subject: new Icom transceiver
From: wmhein@aol.com (wmhein@aol.com)
Date: Sat Feb 5 13:05:01 1994
I received several respones to my reflector posting regarding a new, so far
Japan-only, Icom transciever.  Looks like a great contest/DX/Dxpedition
radio.  Here is a summary of the info sent to me (including several messages
from Japanese hams):

The IC-736 is an improved version of the IC-737 version currently sold
stateside:

IC-737 features additional to the IC-736:

*  vox.
*  6 meters (50w, can adjusted to 100w).
*  RF gain control.
*  built-in switching power supply accepts 85-135v and 187-265v AC.
*  ALC metering.
*  SWR metering.
*  weighs 10.5 kg.
*  Motorola MRF174 push-pull power MOSFET final amplifier.
*  optional 500 Hz or 250 Hz CW filters at the 2nd IF (9.0106 MHz) and 3rd IF
(455 kHz).
*  built-in antenna tuner: HF: 16.7 - 150 ohms & 6m: 20 - 125 ohms.
*  RIT and XIT are clearable.
*  during Split operation, the Lock button locks the receiving frequency
only.   This means you can still change the transmitting frequency by
pressing XFC even when Lock is engaged.

DX/contest features the IC-737 and IC-736 still do NOT have:

*  Beverage antenna input.
*  provisions for VHF/UHF transverters.
*  adjustable CW pitch.

I do not know what the IC-737 general coverage RX range is.  6m DXers like to
have 30 - 50 MHz RX capability for MUF analysis.

When will Icom introduce the IC-737 radio stateside?  Will they wait until
they sell off their IC-736 inventory?

One person sent me a cryptic message about a great new Yaesu transciever
under development.  Anyone have further news on this?

One last comment -- why have the big three (Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood) been so
slow to incorporate DSP technology in their rigs?  (I know Kenwood has some
limited DSP features -- but they could do A LOT more.)  DSP chips aren't
terribly expensive anymore and are rountinely showing up in consumer video
game players, PCs, and so on.  A digital IF could do amazing things in a
crowded band or with extremely weak signals.

Bill AA6TT
wmhein@aol.com